1. Plan your storage space. Place items that you may need to access often in the front. Allow for walkways.
2. Make up an inventory of your stored items and keep it in a safe place at home or in a safe deposit box.
3. CAUTION: Do not store anything COMBUSTIBLE (i.e., paint thinner, gasoline, solvents, paint, etc.). Our rules and regulations prohibit the storage of these items.
4. Use uniform size boxes for easy stacking. Be sure your boxes are strong enough to hold 25 to 30 lbs. (It is best not to put too much in each box.)
5. List contents of boxes on "3 X 5" cards (instead of on each box). Number the boxes to match card numbers. Keep cards in a safe convenient place for use when unpacking.
6. Stack lighter boxes on top of heavier boxes.
7. Dishes and glasses should be wrapped in paper and packed in sturdy boxes. Stack these boxes on top.
8. Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard or mirror boxes, marked "Fragile", and stacked on end.
9. Furniture with drawers can be utilized as storage places for pictures, knickknacks, china, silverware, small items, etc. Wrap them in table clothes, towels, or blankets or packing papers to prevent breakage.
10. Larger appliances make excellent "packing cases" for blankets, towels, table
clothes, and clothes.
11. Shovels, hoes, rakes, and hoses can be stored together in empty trash cans. Stack extra cans inside one another.
12. Tables having removable legs should be "broken down" to save space.
13. Sofas and love-seats can be stored on end to save floor space. Always place a protective cover over and under furniture. Cushions should be wrapped in plastic and placed on top.
14. Cover stuffed furniture with plastic to protect against dust.
15. If you stand mattresses on their side, "prop" them up so they stand straight. (They may tend to bend out of shape and become lumpy). It is best to store mattresses flat on top of a level stack of boxes or furniture. Cover mattresses in plastic.
16. Do not store perishable items (flour, potatoes, candy...) or other food products.
17. Wrap stringed instruments in one or two blankets to insulate and protect, also loosen the strings.
18. Do not place heavy or sharp objects on top of upholstered furniture.
19. Always use a good quality lock on your door.
20. Make sure surfaces of antiques and other wood furniture are treated before storing.